6/26/09

Basement Waterproofing with Hydro-Seal 75 Modified Epoxy Coating

Waterproofing your basement walls and floor with Hydro-Seal 75 modified epoxy coating is a safe, effective, easy Do-It-Yourself project that will save you thousands.
What is Hydro-Seal 75?
Hydro-Seal 75 is a pigmented water based epoxy coating available in White, Gray, Beige and custom pastels that has been tested to withstand over 40PSI in Federal Specification TT-P-001411.(At 40PSI the test block burst with no visible leakage)Hydro-Seal 75 is a 1 to 1 ratio epoxy coating making it easy to mix and apply. Most products sold in home centers are less expensive until you have to sandblast them off your foundation to apply something that works.
How is Hydro-Seal 75 Applied?
Hydro-Seal 75 is applied like paint with rollers, brushed or airless spray equipment. Equal amounts of A & B components are mixed in a clean container for 3-to 5 minutes. Once mixed material is applied like paint. I never mix more than 1 gallon at a time because pot life is only 30 to 45 minutes. If I am spraying the material 2-4 gallons can be mixed at one time. I will used any material that has gelled as an add mixture to cement and sand for a patching compound called Hydro-Epoxy Mortar. This way I never waste any material.
How do you patch with Hydro-Seal 75?
For patching cracks, snap tie holes and the floor/wall seam an application of Hydro-Epoxy Mortar(Hydro-Seal 75 mixed with Portland Cement & Sand) applied with a wide putty knife, trowel, or taping knife works best provided there is no running water during application. A trick for the floor/wall seam or cove is to use the back of a spoon for a perfect rounded edge. Many contractors patch with hydraulic cement which is very brittle. As long as you don't have running water Hydro-Epoxy Mortar will last longer and work better than hydraulic cement.
How does Hydro-Seal 75 work?
Hydro-Seal 75 works by penetrating into the pores of the concrete it is applied to curing to become part of the concrete. The second coat fills the surface giving it a beautiful painted look. Because Hydro-Seal 75 does breathe and allow some vapor transmission water pressure will not force it off the wall making it peel or bubble due to trapped moisture. This is why Hydro-Seal 75 lasts so long and works so well. Vapor transmission tests results faxed upon request.
Can I apply Hydro-Seal 75 to a damp surface?
Hydro-Seal 75 can be applied to a damp surface, not a wet surface. A wet surface, or actively leaking surface will thin material not allowing proper curing. Proper preparation includes washing the surface with Tri Sodium Phosphate(TSP) prior to application of Hydro-Seal 75. When I apply Hydro-Seal 75 I always use TSP and water to wash the surface and then I use clear water to neutralize the surface before my application. By the time I am done washing and rinsing the surface I can go back to where I started and start applying Hydro-Seal 75 to the damp surface I just washed.
How much material will I need?
Typical coverage with a 3/8" nap roller is 150 square feet per gallon per coat with 2 coats required. The 1st coat will penetrate like a primer and the 2nd coat will give your surface a beautiful painted look hiding ugly water stained dark damp surfaces. On very porous surfaces or field stone foundations coverage could be greatly reduced requiring more material. On floor applications 175 to 200 square feet per gallon per coat is a good figure. Trying 1 gallon on a test area will help you determine how much material will be needed for the entire job. I tell people to try a gallon in your worst area to prove how effective Hydro-Seal 75 is. In many instances that 1 gallon solved the problem without coating the entire basement. More often than not customers love the product and proceed to coat the rest of the basement.
Is Hydro-Seal 75 a Green product?
Hydro-Seal 75 is a water based epoxy coating that contains no VOC's making very environmentally friendly coating. Hydro-Seal 75 is odorless, contains no harmful solvents, and can be applied without any special ventilation unlike many of the products on the market for this type of application. Clean up is done with soap and water. Brushed can be soaked in water and re-used on 2nd coat application. Mortar should be cleaned off quickly before it sets on hands.
How long will it take to apply?
When I apply Hydro-Seal 75 I will apply 2 coats to walls and floor perimeter in 1 day with 1 to 2 hours between coats. On large jobs or when I am doing an entire basement by the time I have applied my 1st coat I can go back to where I started and start my 2nd coat. I also like to patch after my 1st coat allowing me to prime all my holes and cracks prior to patching them. This allows me to get an extra coat in the problem areas and also telegraphs where the most porous areas are. I always seal the floor last after I have finished 2 coats on the walls. This keeps me from walking in wet Hydro-Seal 75 during my 2nd coat. I will let 1st coat on floor dry overnight before 2nd coat application.
Where can I purchase Hydro-Seal 75?
To purchase Hydro-Seal 75 contact manufacturer Northern Industries Inc in Coventry RI @ 800 346 5543 or go to Northern Industries Inc web-site http://www.northerncoatings.com/
Email me rick@northerncoatings.com with questions, or to have a color brochure, testing data or product data emailed or faxed to you.

5 comments:

  1. Hey,

    Here is complete information about Hydro-Seal 75. I would use my material Hydro-Seal 75 modified epoxy coating.

    Kevin Peterson
    Toronto Plumbing Expert

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome for basement waterproofing.. thanks for sharing a great article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow great information. Thank you for sharing it.
    Basement Waterproofing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Useful information like this one must be kept and maintained so I will put this one on my bookmark list! Thanks for this wonderful post and hoping to post more of this!
    Basement Waterproofing

    ReplyDelete